Home
About Us
Bio
blog
Contact
Prayer Requests
Store
Support

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The most wonderful time of the year

I love watching Christmas movies. Amazing how I can laugh until my stomach hurts as I watch the same movie every year while anticipating the next line or scene. One of my favorites is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Today I heard a line from that program that I do not remember hearing before, and I have not been able to get it out of my mind. Charlie Brown said, "I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I'm not happy. I don't feel the way I'm supposed to feel." How he's supposed to feel...

Perhaps this line struck a chord with me because of the countless times I've heard the song, "It's the most wonderful time of the year" this past month in the car, stores, and even on television. It's like my eardrums have become a magnetic force to this tune! Every time I hear it I think of those who may be listening that may want to declare something similar to Charlie Brown's sentiment with the realization that while Christmas is coming, he or she doesn't feel the way they are supposed to feel. Health issues, finantial crisis, relational strains, exhaustion, and even death do not take a Christmas vacation. Situations exist that are difficult and painful while the familiar chorus tell us to "be of good cheer" in the midst of "parties for hosting, marshmellows for toasting, and caroling out in the snow." The message that is often conveyed this time of year is that happiness and the "right feeling" will result as we engage in Christmasy things such as decorating our home, baking goodies, buying presents, attending social gatherings, and receiving gifts. Please don't misunderstand - I will be the first one to say that these activites can and should be wonderful times of fellowship with those we love and are a ton of fun! However, merely partaking in these activites will not satisfy the cravings of our soul, and if our intention is to have our deepest longings satisfied in those things then what happens when the decorations come down, the last cookie is eaten, (and let's not even mention getting on the scale!) there are no more presents to distribute, and the parties cease? How then are we supposed to feel?

Fact is we're addressing the wrong issue. Our feelings do not accurately reflect an appropriate sentiment - we need to address joy, peace, and hope grounded in the knowledge and belief in truth. Not rooted in the things that are here today and are gone tomorrow, but rooted in the One who was, is, and is to come. It is possible for joy to coexist with trials. Peace to reside despite conflict. And hope to dissipate despair. It is possible - but only through Christ. "For to us a child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (Is. 9:6).

I don't know what struggle or trial exists in your life as Christmas comes this year, but it is my prayer that your heart will stir with wonder and bow in worship as you reflect on the birth of Christ. That His joy will saturate your thoughts and attitudes, that His peace will calm the storm in your mind and heart, and that His hope will spur you on to love Him more. Born in a manger - destined for the cross; the truth of what our Savior has done makes the message of this season the most wonderful time of the year. Not because of what we do, but because of what He's done.

O come let us adore Him, Christ, the Lord! May the joy, peace, and hope of our Savior Jesus Christ reign in your heart as we celebrate His birth. Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home