Home
About Us
Bio
blog
Contact
Prayer Requests
Store
Support

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Life in the fast lane... And we wait

Waiting. Not a favorable concept in our modern day culture of instant. We want what we want, when we want it, and we don't like to have our paces slowed. In our world of microwave ovens, fast food, atm machines, instant messaging, and air travel, we are encouraged to be on the move! Life in the fast lane... no time to wait, and why should we have to? Just watch the countenance of the people waiting in life at the store when the cashier lights up her number to flash, indicating a problem has occurred and she is flagging the attention of her boss. Or the expressions of drivers when traffic is slow - or a standstill. (God help those in front of one who suffers from road rage in a stand still!) Imagine the pace of life before cars, plains, and modern technology came on the scene. Ever watch Little House on the Prairie? Used to be my favorite. Imagine if we could go back in time and tell someone from that era about the modern day conveniences that would be enjoyed a century or so later... A machine to make bread. A little switch to turn lights on that hung from the 12 foot ceiling in your home - a home that you did not have to build with your own two hands. A car you could drive into town. A dial to turn for an instant fire rather than building one with the wood you chopped. A machine to wash and dry your clothes. Running water. The description of a bathroom! People from this time were accustomed to waiting, as they had no choice. If they wanted to eat, they had to wait for the yeast to rise. Clean clothes meant a trip to a river, then waiting for them to dry on a clothesline. Farmers were at the mercy of weather conditions to determine whether or not there would be a decent harvest to support their family. Times have certainly changed, and so have our mindsets.

Despite all the changes effecting our pace of life, God remains the same. Doesn't matter how our advancements have evolved and improved, His hasn't. Doesn't matter how our mindset has changed, His hasn't wavered. The fact that we do not like to wait plays no role in God's timing. Our approach before Him cannot be contaminated by the attitude of instant that saturates our society - and at times maybe even our own mind and heart.

Reality is, every single one of us is waiting for something that is completely beyond our control, but is under the sovereign rule of our God. The things we wait upon are different, and we could not possibly list them all... A spouse to share life with. A baby to fill the yearning desire of barrenness. A diagnosis. A healing. A breakthrough in a strained relationship. Deliverance. A job. Friendship. Clear direction in a major decision. Salvation for a family member. Justice to prevail. Jesus to take us home. Everybody is waiting for something, and God does not offer drive through service for a faster lane of service, nor is He our heavenly bellhop ready and waiting to serve us when we snap our fingers with our request. I confess that in my early years as a Christian that was exactly how I approached Him. They only time I prayed was when I wanted something from Him, and I expected Him to answer quickly. How pompous and irreverent of me.

And so we wait. How many times have you heard the phrase, "God's timing is always perfect!"? If you're like me, more times than you can count. While it is true, there is a part of us that may not like to hear that, isn't there? Probably because we are told this when we are waiting for something we want so desperately to come to fruition, and we don't know when or how it will come to pass, and there is nothing we can do to alter or expedite God's timing. Doesn't matter if we throw a fit like a three year old, give Him a cold shoulder, or even try to win His favor in an attempt for Him to answer our plea now. (You know, the ol' bargaining approach..."Do this for me God and I promise to help old ladies across the street and give money to the poor for the next three years.")

There are many factors that we have no control over while we wait, such as the duration of time, and often the outcome. But there are things we get to choose while we wait. John Waller tells us so well in his song, I Am Waiting, the things we get to choose:

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord

Yesterday I was reading in Acts before Jesus ascended into heaven he told His disciples, "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about" (Jn. 1:4). They had to wait. They did not know how long, and they didn't know why, but they knew they had to wait. Their response is recorded in Acts 1:12-14, "Then they returned to Jerusalem... when they arrived, they went upstairs to a room they were staying... They all joined together constantly in prayer." They did not know when or how, but in their response they were obedient, they served Christ, and they worshiped Him. 10 days later, their waiting came to an end on the day of Pentecost.

Waiting on God is not meant to be a passive thing. While we wait we learn, grow, and drawn closer to Jesus - if we cooperate and let the Holy Spirit have His way with us. Submitting to Him and yielding our desires - and asking Him to fill us with His own. NOT always an easy process... in fact it can be downright hard. But then we must choose to gaze upon Christ. Choose to serve Him. Choose to worship Him. And as we wait, we continue to run the race He has marked out for us. Fueled not by selfish wish lists, but by the wind of the Spirit with our faces set on Him. And with each step, He's promised that His grace will be sufficient. That His mercies will be new every morning. That He will never leave or forsake you. That nothing, NOTHING can separate you from His love. You see, there are blessings that come during the wait. Press on, dear friend. We may not know every detail of the road God has marked out for us - after all He's equipped us with a lamp for our feet to guide our path, not streetlights to illuminate the steps of the hours or days ahead (See Ps. 119:105).

I don't know what you're waiting on God for right now. Maybe joy is filling your heart and you are waiting with great anticipation and excitement - I say to you march on with your lamp at your feet and your gaze on Christ! Maybe you are waiting and your stomach is in knots, tears fill your eyes, and the uncertainly of the steps ahead are overwhelming. I say to you march on with your lamp at your feet and your gaze on Jesus! Your Savior who loves you with an everlasting love... who died that you may know, love, and experience Him now and forever. Our waiting on Christ is never in vain. John Waller is right, waiting can be so darn painful... but it is never wasted - not one second of it. God is working in and around you while you wait. May you and I find courage and comfort in this truth today, as we wait.

Here's the link to listen to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWI-iZsIKIk

1 Comments:

Blogger HungryHeartsMinistries.org said...

Jennifer, This message is timeless & so true! We are always waiting on something, I absolutely love that song and I appreciate your reference to it, because it is beautiful and heartfelt. Character is developed as we wait upon the Lord. I am reminded of the passage in James 5 where we are told to notice HOW the farmer waits patiently for his harvest. It truly is about HOW we wait. I believe with all my heart that it was because of HOW the Israelites waited in the wilderness that kept them from the Promise Land for so long. We all have promises from God and harvests that we are waiting for. One time I was crying out to God for a season to pass in my life and He very clearly chastised me and told me that I could feel bad for myself and continue the state I was in or I could draw close to Him and allow Him to accomplish what His purpose was for that season so we could get past it faster and not prolong it with a drawn out pity party. I will never forget that. He loves us and we don't always understand why things happen the way that they do, but the Key is to trust HIm and believe His promise to us in Romans 8:28-- that no matter what, He will work out EVERYTHING, whether it be His will or not, He'll work it out for our good and HIs glory! Hallelujah! Thank you Jennifer for your dedicated service to God and His people, you are greatly lovedand He uses your mouth to speak words in due season to His people. God Bless you

February 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home