Home
About Us
Bio
blog
Contact
Prayer Requests
Store
Support

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

National Human Trafficking Awareness Day

It has been waaay too long since I've posted on this blog!! We have had some issues with not being able to publish blogs in the past couple weeks - hopefully those have been resolved and now we can catch up! There have been a couple posts I've been excited to write; today I'll begin with the first one that I've been so anxious to tell you about!

January 11th was National Human Trafficking Awareness Day. I cannot tell you the joy it brings my heart that there is a nationally declared day to bring awareness to this horrific injustice! Senator Teresa Fedor (State Senator, 11th district) invited me to attend the event at the Ohio Statehouse to raise awareness in my home state. Tears filled my eyes as a trafficking survivor lit two candles to begin the day - one to symbolize former slaves who have been set free, the other representing those still in captivity. I imagined that if one candle was lit for every life touched by this heinous crime that not even the whole Statehouse could contain them. It was encouraging to see senators, state representatives, ambassadors, FBI agents, and other leaders from various groups gather to discuss ways to combat this global epidemic that is not just occurring in remote places of our world, but in our backyards. I was surprised to learn that Ohio is now recognized as the state having the forth most frequent calls reporting human trafficking activity in the country.

I was both humbled and honored to walk into this wonderful event with God's Word in the form of a Bible study, offering everlasting hope amidst the darkness. I set up a table with copies of Embracing an Aching Heart: Addressing the Horrors of Human Trafficking and was able to boldly declare that God does care about these oppressed individuals, and that His Word is not silent on this issue! It seemed many people were both interested and surprised to hear these truths.

It took very little time for me to write the dedication of this book. It reads, "This book is dedicated to every man, woman, and child who has been a victim of human trafficking. My heart aches for you, and it is my privilege to write this Bible study in honor of you." This statement accurately reflects the posture of my heart towards this book. The more I learn about slavery, the more compelled I am to make a difference. The more faces I look into that have been effected by trafficking, the more my heart is filled with compassion for them.

I encourage you to become educated on the injustice of human trafficking. You do not have to look long or hard to be informed, as human trafficking is now the second largest and fasting growing criminal industry in the world! Let me warn you, however, that this is not an easy arena to look into. The facts are overwhelming and the stories of those who endure unimaginable brutality are heart wrenching.

Millions are suffering... the Body of Christ must not remain silent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home